Values are deeply held beliefs about what is important or desirable. They are expressed though the ways people act and think. At Hikutaia School we value; Respect, Integrity, Excellence, Resilience, Co-Operation & Enthusiasm. These values are encouraged, modelled and given opportunity to be explored.
Respect – for ourselves, others and the environment.
- Treat other people and their property with consideration
- Treat others as you wish to be treated
- Make an effort for yourself – be the best you can
- Treat the environment (Papatuanuku, Tangaroa and Ranginui) as a precious resource.
- Thinking for ourselves
- Look after yourself but not at the exclusion of others
Resilience – staying strong.
- Taking risks, giving it a go.
- Learning from our mistakes – Building strategies to cope
- Stick-ability – keep going – Perseverance
- Self-awareness – next steps
Excellence – in everything we do.
- Striving to do our best
- Acknowledge the possibility of failure as we strive for excellence.
Co-Operation – working together.
- Working together as a team
- Respect for other people’s views
- Working for the benefit of the ‘whole’.
Integrity – Living life above the line.
Enthusiasm – a positive attitude.
- Passion for learning and life.
- Excitement and interest in things.